VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Aug. 28, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Lithium Americas Corp. (TSX: LAC) (NYSE: LAC) (“Lithium Americas& or the “Company&) announced the release of two environmental, social, governance and safety (“ESG-S&) reports for its North America and Argentina regions. The two ESG-S reports, themed ‘Accelerating Toward a New Era of Sustainable Value& highlight overall ESG-S progress during January 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023 (the “Reporting Period&) and reflect the Company&s commitment to creating sustainable value by being a safe, environmentally responsible and inclusive lithium company.
“Over the last 18 months, our business has gained significant momentum as we advanced late-stage lithium projects in Argentina and the U.S. toward full production in a sustainable and responsible way,& said Jonathan Evans, Lithium Americas& President and CEO. “We are uniquely positioned to bridge the global gap in demand, while maximizing sustainable value for our diverse set of stakeholders. In early 2023, we commenced construction at Thacker Pass in northern Nevada, through which we will play a key role in building North America&s lithium supply chain, and in June 2023, we achieved first lithium production at Caucharí-Olaroz in northern Argentina, the largest new lithium brine operation to come online in more than two decades.&
This year we have included in the reports:
- A Stakeholder Matrix to illustrate our engagement mechanisms with various stakeholder groups.
- Estimated operational carbon intensity per tonne of lithium carbonate produced at Thacker Pass and Caucharí-Olaroz.
- Illustrations and diagrams of how water flows and is recycled at Thacker Pass and Caucharí-Olaroz.
Other major ESG-S achievements during the Reporting Period highlighted in the reports include:
- Estimated operational carbon intensity for both Thacker Pass and Caucharí-Olaroz, and estimated expected water intensity, as well as water reuse and recycle rates at Thacker Pass.
- Signed a Community Benefits Agreement with the Fort McDermitt Paiute and Shoshone Tribe, the closest Indigenous community to Thacker Pass, as the latest progression in a long-term relationship.
- Received approval by seven communities in the vicinity of Caucharí-Olaroz for the proposed Stage 2 expansion of at least 50%.
- Completed a self-assessment of the Towards Sustainable Mining (“TSM&) standard at Caucharí-Olaroz, as well as an external review of TSM protocols for biodiversity, community relationships, health and safety and water stewardship.
- Voluntarily participated in the Initiative for Responsible Mining Assurance (“IRMA&) Ready Pilot by completing a self-assessment of the draft standard for Thacker Pass.
- Strengthened our safety awareness and management of safety performance, by implementing the SafeStart awareness and skills training program, alongside the VelocityEHS safety management software at Caucharí-Olaroz, Thacker Pass and corporate and regional offices.
- Achieved no recordable incidents at Thacker Pass and a total recordable injury frequency rate (“TRIFR&) of 1.68 at Caucharí-Olaroz, exceeding the site&s goal of two for each one million hours worked.
Both reports can be found on our website at www.lithiumamericas.com/esg/.
ABOUT LITHIUM AMERICAS
Lithium Americas is advancing a separation of its U.S. and Argentine business units into two public independent companies. Lithium Argentina will retain Caucharí-Olaroz (44.8%-interest), focused on advancing toward full production capacity, and regional growth opportunities in the Pastos Grandes basin with Pastos Grandes and Sal de la Puna projects (100%-owned and 65%-interest, respectively). Lithium Americas (NewCo) will retain the 100%-owned Thacker Pass, focused on advancing construction with the target to commence production in the second half of 2026. The Company currently trades on the TSX and on the NYSE, under the ticker symbol “LAC.&
For further information contact:
This news release contains “forward-looking information& within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities legislation and “forward-looking statements& within the meaning of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 (collectively referred to herein as “forward-looking information&). These statements relate to future events or the Company&s future performance. All statements, other than statements of historical fact, may be forward-looking information. Forward-looking information generally can be identified by the use of words such as “seek,& “anticipate,& “plan,& “continue,& “estimate,& “expect,& “may,& “will,& “project,& “predict,& “propose,& “potential,& “targeting,& “intend,& “could,& “might,& “should,& “believe& and similar expressions. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual results or events to differ materially from those anticipated in such forward-looking information. In particular, this news release contains forward-looking information, including, without limitation, with respect to the following matters or the Company&s expectations relating to such matters: goals of the Company; development of the Caucharí-Olaroz project and the Thacker Pass project, including timing, progress, expected timing of full capacity production at the Caucharí-Olaroz project. Forward-looking information does not take into account the effect of transactions or other items announced or occurring after the statements are made. Forward-looking information is based upon a number of expectations and assumptions and is subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond the Company&s control, that could cause actual results to differ materially from those that are disclosed in or implied by such forward-looking information. With respect to forward-looking information listed above, the Company has made assumptions regarding, among other things: the ability of the Company to fund, advance and develop the Caucharí-Olaroz project and the Thacker Pass project. Although the Company believes that the assumptions and expectations reflected in such forward-looking information are reasonable, the Company can give no assurance that these assumptions and expectations will prove to be correct. Since forward-looking information inherently involves risks and uncertainties, undue reliance should not be placed on such information. The Company&s actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in any forward-looking information as a result of the risk factors set out herein and in the Company&s latest annual information form (“AIF&) available on SEDAR.
All forward-looking information contained in this news release is expressly qualified by the risk factors set out in the Company&s latest AIF, management information circular and management discussion and analysis. Such risk factors are not exhaustive. The Company does not undertake any obligation to update or revise any forward-looking information, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law. All forward-looking information contained in this news release is expressly qualified in its entirety by this cautionary statement. Additional information about the above-noted assumptions, risks and uncertainties is contained in the Company&s filings with securities regulators, including our latest AIF and management information circular, which are available on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.